Monday, January 06, 2014

Ask JKM a Question: Upstream Color (2013)?


A regular reader, Jason, writes:

“Have you seen Upstream Color (2013)? And if so what are your thoughts?  Io9 recently listed it as the best SF movie of the year.”

Jason: I was not even aware of this film until you mentioned it to me in your e-mail, but now, indeed, I have sought it out and watched it twice.  I am glad you directed me to it.  I wouldn’t have wanted to miss it.

All I can say right now is…wow.

For those not yet acquainted with the film, Upstream Color is the second effort from Shane Carruth, the artist behind one of my favorite genre films of recent vintage, Primer (2004). 

I will review Upstream Color in detail this Friday, so keep an eye out.  Thanks for the question, and readers don't forget to ask me your questions at Muirbusiness@yahoo.com.

3 comments:

  1. My thoughts, if you're looking for a differing opinion:

    http://hornakwatchlist.blogspot.com/2013/04/upstream-color-2013.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous11:25 PM

    I have not seen this film, I have never even heard of this film til this very instant. But the fact that it is mentioned on this blog is enough for me to seek this film out and view it.

    I look forward to the review.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WTF?!?!

    I wanted to like this. I really do like films that make you think, maybe even make me study them a little. One of those was Shane Carruth's "Primer". After watching it numerous times, it was ultimately frustrating and I found that no one could really follow it without many viewings.

    "Upstream Color" plays the same way but has not persuaded me to watch it again. I'm convinced it's weird with a goal of being indecipherable. It screams "I'm smarter than you!" in every frame. The characters are insufferable. It really isn't even visually appealing. Unless you favor pig pens and hotel rooms.

    I am not going to like a film because others think it's smart. If I missed something, that's on me. It was not entertaining in the least and to be entertained is the primary reason I watch movies.

    ReplyDelete

My Father's Journal, Epilogue: "My Cancer"

My friends, we have reached the final entry in my father’s journal of his battle with cancer.     I want to thank all the readers who have c...